Contact Centre
Contact Centre

Monday, December 08, 2008

In Which I Stare at a Glowing Screen in a Dark Room

I just spent the last two hours trying to force myself to fall asleep. It was not, in the end, successful, and now I am back to this little 'puter until something resembling any sort of tiredness happens.

Today was a PLANNING day. John and I stayed close to the hotel (the farthest we went was around the corner for some afternoon spinach pie, i.e. my best Greek word, SPANAKOPITA!) and basically spent the rest of the time in the hotel greenhouse room looking at the internet until our eyes bled. But! Now we have the next FOUR WHOLE DAYS planned! Tomorrow we take the boat to Hydra and spend two idyllic days wandering about Greece's sole unwheeled island (the only vehicles allowed are sanitation trucks; you can't even have a BICYCLE). At first it was going to be only one idyllic day, but then we learned Wednesday is a general strike (i.e. no boats, no planes, no nada), so two it is! Thursday we boat it back to Athens and then hop a flight to Chania, Crete, where we so far have a hotel for two nights and, beyond that? TBD.

Also, I just downloaded firefox and three million add-ons and I have no idea how to use most of 'em. Awesome, right??? Hopefully these suckers will keep me amused until I hopefully, finally fall asleep.

PS It seems there are riots going on in Athens. I know this because people have emailed and asked if I am okay and if I'm safe and thank GOODNESS the first folks who wrote told me WHY they were asking because I never would have known otherwise. Apparently this little area John and I are in is a completely sheltered little riotless cove of tranquility. That being said, we were thinking of seeking them out - I AM in the market for a new large suitcase, and I hear the rioters have been liberating items from classy department stores...

No comments:

Post a Comment