Contact Centre
Contact Centre

Friday, January 30, 2009

In Which I Dance Into Chaos and Out Again

Tonight I tried something new, and all by myself (although John was the one who discovered this in the first place, he had too much work to complete to go tonight). I was even able to transport myself - I not only found the cab stand BUT ALSO got a cab, and THEN I almost successfully give him directions as to where I was going (we found it eventually).

Now what was this I was trying? That would be a 5Rhythms class. What exactly IS 5Rhythms? To quote Wikipedia:

5Rhythms is a movement meditation practice devised by Gabrielle Roth in the 1960s. It draws from many indigenous and world traditions using tenets of shamanistic, ecstatic, mystical and eastern philosophy. It also draws from Gestalt, the human potential movement and transpersonal psychology. Fundamental to the practice is the idea that everything is energy, and moves in waves, patterns and rhythms. Roth describes the practice as a soul journey, and says that by moving the body, releasing the heart, and freeing the mind, one can connect to the essence of the soul, the source of inspiration in which an individual has unlimited possibility and potential.
That, it seems, is the technical definition.

What is actually is: dancing around like CRAZY! We wiggled and we woggled and we rolled around on the floor and we jumped up in the air. We moved our limbs like robots and we moved them like they had no bones. We made round shapes and angular shapes and big shapes and small shapes. We moved fast and we moved s l o w. And we danced for three hours, just me and the two middle-aged instructors (one Australian, one British), shakin' our hinies however they felt like shakin', until we all finally collapsed onto yoga mats for 15 minute naps.

In short, it was noodle dancing ecstasy. I'll be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment