Contact Centre
Contact Centre

Thursday, February 26, 2009

In Which We Make Our Return

Last night I slept on a shot mattress that should have retired years ago but is too stubborn to give up the working world. I washed my face in a sink that takes forever to drain and listened to the sounds of a storm swirl close above my head as I tried to sleep in a room that wasn't QUITE warm enough. I woke up periodically through the night to utilize the roll of toilet paper I'd placed on my bedside table for this silly headcold I'm sporting, and finally got out of bed this morning with a sore butt from the mattress and a dry throat from the heating unit.

In other words, I'm home. Hello again, Crete. It's good to see you.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Great Costumes!

    Thoughts of Italian Opera fill my head:

    O mio babbino caro
    Mi piace è bello, bello
    Vo'andare in Porta Rossa
    a comperar l'anello!
    Sì, sì, ci voglio andare!
    e se l'amassi indarno,
    andrei sul Ponte Vecchio,
    ma per buttarmi in Arno!
    Mi struggo e mi tormento!

    O my dear papa
    He pleases me, and is handsome, handsome
    I want to go to Porta Rossa
    to buy the ring!
    Yes, yes, I want to go there!
    And if my love were in vain,
    I would go to the Ponte Vecchio
    and throw myself in the Arno!
    I am aching, I am tortured!

    --From Giacomo Puccini's Gianni Schicchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:26 PM

    Oh, that was supposed to be below

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:20 PM

    now i want to learn italian. what would the greek translation be?
    debbie

    ReplyDelete