Contact Centre
Contact Centre

Saturday, October 04, 2008

In Which We Get An Upgrade

So on LuxAir, even for short flights, they give you a full on SNACK! Little sandwiches, a sugar coated cherry muffin, and then on your way out they give you CANDY. I think it is perhaps my new favorite airline. Too bad it's fairly local to Luxembourg.

I would also have all of you know that I am currently in charge of driving the rental car. Not too significant in and of itself, but this particular rental car is a MANUAL car, the likes of which I have only driven on Nantucket. There were absolutely zero automatic cars available because no one drives the things in Europe really (and when we did a last minute inquiry at the airport, just in case, the looks of incredulity at the very THOUGHT of such a thing were pretty impressive to behold), and so voila! I am now in charge of a manual car, and much like riding a bicycle, I have managed to manuever this vehicle with something approaching ease (just as long as I concentrate very, very hard). Also, there is a major difference between driving a brand new manual car and the beaters I'm used to on Nantucket - I am astounded by how easily the gears shift in our European vehicle.
And so, without even stalling one time, and with the help of the soothing British accent of our GPS guide, I chauffered us to our hotel for the evening. Well, we THOUGHT it was our hotel, except for the slight issue of our lack of reservation. It's not like it never got MADE, we had a confirmation number and everything, it just somehow never got from the internet booking service to the HOTEL. Because they felt so badly about it, they ended up giving us the last room available in the hotel for a substantial discount, i.e. the penthouse suite. Woohoo!! It is not perhaps as penthouse as, say, the Trump Tower, or even the Hilton, but still. There's a jacuzzi, a rolltop desk, a small sitting area, a fake fireplace... it has it all. If we have to share a room, THIS is the way to do it.
And now, a few random shots from our wanders around the city:







Lastly, we did not eat here, as delectable as the sign makes it sound:

Instead I ordered the "hearty salad" at another restaurant - the healthy choice, as it was lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, endive, fried potatoes and an egg over easy on top, all smothered in a hollandaise sauce dressing. It's healthy because I opted out of the bacon.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...salad. Good way to get your vegetables.

    You are so totally my coolest friend right now.

    ReplyDelete