Contact Centre
Contact Centre

Saturday, January 21, 2006

In Which I Give A Vocabulary Lesson

Just so you all know, I should not be using this computer. In fact, it is HIGHLY ILLEGAL, and there is a little sign posted upon said computer stating "Esta computadora es para uso exclusivo de PCVs, NO PARA RPCVs o VISITANTES."

Then, in english below, it says, "This computer is for the exclusive use of PCVs, NOT FOR RPCVs or VISITORS," which is how I understood I should not be using it. I am currently experiencing a delightful little tingle of illicitness.

But enough small talk.

This is a short entry designed to teach the reader a lesson in Dominican, a variant of the Spanish mother tongue. Notice, as you read, my rigorous and impeccable use of the OED's stringent guidelines for creating a proper dictionary definition. Let us begin:

un chin [oon CHEEN] -n- a little bit; can be emphasized as following: "I only want (except pretend that part was in spanish) un chinininininininininininin."

una china [OO-na CHEEN-a] -n- an orange (for eating); origin --> Let's just say those shipping crates for Asia were not, in fact, labeled ORANGE.

un safacon [oon saf-ah-KON] -n- trash bin; origin --> This word is the result of an old NYC recycling campaign, onto which they printed "Save A Can" onto all public trash recepticles. The importation of such a word is made possible by the friendly fluidity of personages, material goods, and bastardized ad campaigns between Nueva York (see definition below) and the Dominican Republic.

Nueva York [noo-EH-vah YORK] -n- 1. New York City, NY 2. United States of America.
e.g. "I went to Nueva York for the holidays to see my family."
"And where in Nueva York does your family live?"
"Phoenix."

los paises [lohs paiy-EE-sez] -pl. n- 1. the countries 2. anywhere that is not the Dominican Republic; more a mindset than, perhaps, a proper noun. (syn. alla [ay-YAH] -n- literal meaning: over there)
for instance: "I hear you were gone in los paises for the holidays!"
"Yes, I went to Boston to visit my aunt."
"Did you see my cousins there?"
"I don't think so, where do they live?"
"In Spain!"

con-con [KON-KON] -n- the cohesive mass of burnt and oil-saturated rice found the bottom of the rice pot. considered a delicacy.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Indeedy, missus. I love my cheens. XOXOXOXOXOX
    La faire lady du singladom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog needs some goddamn closure. As far as I cyberknow, you are still up on the Loma!

    ReplyDelete